Two tanners die, another falls sick while pickling hides in Savar factory

Bangladesh Tannery Association General Secretary Abdul Malek told bdnews24.com workers ‘Mahbub’, 50, and ‘Hasan’, 24, fell sick after they got on a tank full of chemicals for pickling at Prince Tannery on Wednesday evening. Another worker, Moazzem, 18, got on the tank to rescue the two but he fell sick too, Malek said, quoting other workers.

Workers at the factory requesting anonymity said the three victims fell sick after inhaling poisonous chemical used in pickling hides.

Golam Nabi, in charge of the local police camp, said Hasan died in the factory and he took Mahbub and Moazzem to Dhaka Medical College Hospital.

Sub-Inspector Bachchu Mia at DMCH police camp said the doctors pronounced Mahbub dead and Moazzem was admitted to the hospital.